If you’re like us, we have advertisements popping up on every screen about at home laser hair removal. If you’re considering this, make sure you follow along (we’re not game to go solo, we’ll be leaving it to the professionals for now). There are so many steps, tips and tricks that our hair removal technician explains we must follow pre, during and after appointments. However, discussions with our friends and online ‘hacks’ often breed old wife’s tales that probably contradict the actual practice we need to follow for best post laser results. We at Ritology have done endless research on hair removal – so here are our laser do’s and don’ts to follow for at home laser hair removal.
- Exfoliation - a thorough, but gentle, exfoliation will help removal of dead skin cells and leave a clean surface for the laser to accurately target hair follicles. Using exfoliant sponges, loofah or dry brushing combined with a serum and warm water will leave your body with a needed fresh and satisfied feeling walking into your laser appointment. Remember everyone’s skin type is different so it might take a couple attempts to find the perfect combo of equipment – click here to learn more on dry brushing and its the right exfoliation for you.
- Pre-appointment shave – timing, accuracy and equipment must be spot on and performed as close as possible to your laser hair removal appointment. After exfoliating your skin, take the time to sit down and gently shave the areas that are being targeted at your appointment. Our Smooth Operator Razor utilises a single blade head that is perfect for sensitive skin and avoiding ingrown hairs. Shaving pre-appointment should take time to avoid missed patches or unwanted cuts – both which will affect your laser hair removal appointment. Learn more about pre-laser shaving here.
- Don’t moisturise – post shave moisturisation is important any other day to leave that fresh layer of skin feeling nourished and fresh. However, on the day of your laser hair removal it is important to leave the hair follicles accessible so that the laser can be as accurate as possible in targeting your desired hair removal areas.
- Drink plenty of water – it is important to increase your water consumption the day before and day of your laser treatment. Drinking 1 – 2 litres on the day of will help regulate your body temperature during and after the laser treatment and avoid issues of exhaustion or dehydration. For those of you who are susceptible to headaches and migraines this is definitely a MUST. At the end of the day we should all be aiming to have at least a litre of water every day, so when you see that laser appointment scheduled in your diary, it’s also a friendly reminder to get hydrated.
- Post laser appointment care – taking care of your skin post laser appointment is arguably the most important step. Ensuring that you avoid direct sun contact, intense exercise and hot showers is a must as the freshly zapped hair follicles are extremely sensitive and need to avoid harsh temperatures and environments. If you have pre-paid your laser appointments (which we recommend maintaining consistency in treatment) it is likely your technician will book you in for another session about 4 – 5 weeks apart - this time gap depends on where you are with your laser journey. Laser hair removal is a relatively expensive commitment and therefore it is vital to stay on top of your appointments to ensure longevity in results.
At Ritology, our favourite natural ingredient for soothing and moisturisation is Aloe Vera! When returning home make sure to pick up some sustainably produced aloe without harsh chemicals to cool and treat the targeted areas.
Pick up your premium razor for ultimate results with your at home hair removal treatment here.