Words by Katie Dean, a writer, published Author and motivational maven. Katie is a new thought mindset mechanic, a researcher on how to debunk fear and is here to shine a light for those seeking confidence, clarity and courage.
When it comes to walking this earth and living lighter while doing so, two area’s come straight to mind.
- MINDSET - A lighter way of viewing yourself and the things that you give priority to
- ENVIRONMENT – The world we live in and the way we choose to interact, respond and support it.
Given that I’m a proud as punch Mindset Coach and I fully understand the impact of this wonderous tool on the rest of your life, let’s go right there.
With all of the pressures, social media, lists of how-to’s and comparison that’s floating around it’s no wonder many of us feel the full weight of it all. The thing is this whole idea of the ‘perfect’ way to do anything doesn’t exist. There are a hundred ways to make a bowl of porridge and regardless of which you choose, you’re still going to end up with a bowl of oats.
Life was always meant to be a lil messy, a little complicated and when your stop waiting for things to be easy, you open the door for things to be wonderful. I recently wrote a book titled just that – Messy – The guide to living lighter and giving less forks – and there are a truck load of ways that encourage you to get back in the drivers seat of your life, stop carrying the shit that is weighing you down and live your life on your terms.
Here’s 6 small but mighty takeaways that will help you go a long way to shifting your mindset.
- The key to happiness is lowering the bar. Not even just lowering it, drop it on the floor and kick it out of the room. This doesn’t mean ditching your standards, it means allowing yourself to be happy with less.
- Closure comes from you. Waiting for someone else to give you what you need is saying that you don’t have the ability to create your own happiness. Waiting for permission is so 1997, besides girlfriend, you’ll never find happiness in the same place you lost it.
- Failure is a feeling, not a destination. For reals. No shame in things looking a little different to the ‘grand plan’. The path is always the path and you are right on time.
- Stop looking for things to fix and you’ll fix everything. You really do get what you look for friend, so what are you gathering evidence to support?
- The way you talk to yourself matters. You are soooooo enough. It’s unbelievable how enough you are. Trust your intuition, she knows her shit. Read that again.
- Resign as CEO of the universe. It’s not your job to be everything to everybody. The person who’s opinion and needs matter most is of course yourself. Is Susan from accounting has a problem with your life choices, tell her to walk on.
I am stoked that I am living within a movement of consciousness that is going to change the world for the better. Sure, us humans have also been the reason it all forked up, but I’m choosing to focus on what we can do and I am determined to look for the helpers.
It’s easy to think that one person can’t change the world, but I call horse shit on that. We get to influence so many people every day within the way we move through life. Every choice matters. Every switch to something better matters and that is why I’m obsessed with Ritology. The world doesn’t need a bunch of people doing things perfectly, it’s needs way more people doing things imperfectly but still giving it a red hot go.
Here are 6 things that you can do to live a little lighter and not be such a dickhead towards the environment.
- Carry a reusable bag everywhere. There are some super cute calico ones that fold up to virtually nothing and you will feel smug AF when the shop assistant asks you if you would like a bag and you can be all ‘Nah thanks, I have one right here’ #earthwarriorgoddess.
- Make smart swaps. Take a look at where you are using single use plastics and make the swap to more sustainable investment pieces that will go the distance. ( Cough, cough – RITOLOGY)
- Get a Keep Cup. Again you will feel super smug and slightly better than everyone else when you cruise around drinking your hot beverage in a cup that is not only benefiting the environment but super cute. BONUS TIP – You can also put wine it and no one will ever know. #notjoking
- Use the leftover water from water bottles and glasses at home to water your plants. Every little drop counts and your plants will look super lush and your friends will totally notice your green thumb.
- Look at how you’re doing your groceries. Opt for the loose fruits and veg and avoid pre-packed wherever you can. Bananas don’t need to be wrapped in plastic FFS, they have a skin for that.
- Conscious Gifting this Christmas. Where you spend your dollar counts. Seek out the businesses that are doing something to support the world you want to live in. Ditch all the extra packaging and make like a full minimalist. Never underestimate the power of some brown string to really jazz up a gift as well. Eco. Affordable. On trend. You’re welcome.
Find more from Katie Dean over on her website: https://ktdean.com.au