We can all agree that blueberries are oh so very delicious… Although, did you know that these little balls of nutritional goodness possess a lot of beneficial elements for your skin? If not, you do now!
Blueberries top the leaderboard for a natural superfood, why? Well they’re best known for their disease shielding properties. Better yet, they’re available for consumption ALL year round! It would be silly not to have them incorporated into your diet.
You’re probably thinking… ‘Where does my skin come into this?’
- Well, blueberries are high in fiber, anthocyanins, and vitamins C and K - which are known to assist with the reduction of skin inflammation, as well as heal wounds. Studies suggest the high antioxidant content blueberries possess can fight off free radicals, and potentially fast-track healing resulted from a cut, minor burn, or blemishes.
- It’s also a natural collagen booster! Vitamins C and K are known to assist your body with the production of collagen - for those that don’t know, collagen is a protein which makes your skin more plump and structured - because who doesn’t love a sharp jawline?
- Fighting premature aging. We can’t prevent aging, nor should we, but we can prevent premature aging all while looking good doing it. The high antioxidants blueberries contain are natural compounds which help fight cell-damaging free radicals. As you mature, your body resists the urge to put on the boxing gloves and fight them off, causing plunder on your skin cells. Although, by implementing these purple antioxidant soldiers into your diet you’ll help reduce premature aging.
- In order to have fantastic looking skin, our bodies need to have a healthy heart and circulation - it delivers the oxygen and nutrients to cells, as well as cleans them out. Eating a handful of blueberries per day can help improve our body’s ability to send the nutrients and oxygen our cells desire - allowing for quick and efficient cell turnover and ideally, healthy looking skin.
- Blueberries are also sought to improve skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis - which is commonly found when antioxidant levels are low and appear as red, scaly flare-ups on the skin's surface. Yet again, blueberries contain the vitamin rich antioxidants to fight off these free radicals and leave our skin looking amazing.
We LOVE blueberries here at Ritology. They’re healthy, nutritious, and not to mention incredibly delicious! Blueberries are available all year round - fresh or frozen. They can also be supplemented in skin care products which contain blueberry extracts. Stay up to date with our social @RitologyDaily for more delicious health benefits!